8.19.2010

monogram wall decor - DIY by me!

First of all, when you look at this photo, please don't be super jealous of my completely retro kitchen. Yes, that is yellow tile straight out of the 70s and 'beautiful' countertops to match :) Our oven, sink and fridge are yellow too. Now I just need some dark grey walls and modern accents and it would actually be pretty much amazing. One thing at a time I guess!  I don't know if I'm willing to put that much work into a cheap rental TINY 2 bedroom apartment.  Anyway, that's not why we're here!


I want to share this small wall decor with you that I made yesterday.  I didn't have any small canvases, so I used the lid to an old decorative box that was ruined.  It's a 7.5" square.  I just used the glue gun to adhere the fabric to the lid.  I had to line it with white fabric (cut up one of Luke's ruined Sunday shirts)so the pattern on the lid wouldn't show through.  This fabric was a free find at a swap meet that my church organized last year.  What's better than free??  It's hard to tell in the photo, but it's a light powder blue with small navy dots.  I can't officially say it's vintage because I don't know the exact year it was made, but I'd be really surprised if it wasn't at least 30 years old.  For the 's' I used black felt.  I used my Silhouette SD to cut out an 'S' in paper (I wish it cut felt!  If anyone knows a secret, please share!) and then I glue gunned it to the underside of the felt to cut around it.  That way I have a perfect guide that doesn't show and can use whatever font I want, thanks to the Silhouette!  I just glue gunned a couple of buttons on and then again used the glue gun to place the 'S' on the bottom corner (it's actually covering a small imperfection in the fabric)!

Now I have wall art!

I have a large collage on the wall right now of black picture frames and a couple other things, so I'm looking for ways to incorporate more color and make it a little bigger.  Hopefully soon I'll be able to share some before and after photos of the collage.

Here are a couple of other items that have inspired me for my living room.  Our couch came with some hideous pillows that I'm going to slip cover, one of them hopefully with something like this, since I have so many buttons.  I also want to do some more wall art, probably unframed... I want to do something like this, but on fabric that is wrapped over canvas, similar to this monogram art!

Anyway, I hope this inspires your creativity!  Tomorrow I'll have something else to share!  Thanks for stopping by!

2 comments:

  1. you are so talented and have a great imagination...Luke is a lucky fella! BTW I had a kitchen just like that once...yeesh

    ReplyDelete
  2. awesome idea :)
    ok now i feel OLD as your "retro" kitchen looks like my first home when we got married!!!

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...