8.23.2010

Repurposed Sweater = New Winter Hat for Adelle

Hello everyone!  I had a great Sunday.  We got up on time and got to church early.  I got a new calling today, which I'm excited about, though I don't know completely what it will entail.  I get to work with the Young Women though, so yay!  So fun!

I've decided something I want to do here on this blog is try out tutorials I find online and let you know how it goes for someone like me, who really does not have an extensive craftiness skill set (For example, I really do not sew.  I have a sewing machine, but I am slowly teaching myself how to use it).  First on the list, I told you I'd come back to this tutorial over at A Hoot and a Holler, so that's exactly what I did!  I'll let you be the judge on how successful it was. :)  I used one of Adelle's hats as a guide, then started cutting!


I followed the step by step directions and here's my completed hat.  Honestly from start to finish creating the hat took me MAYBE 5 minutes, if that.  I'm thinking about making myself one too.  Is that super nerdy to have matching hats with my daughter?  I've gotta put the rest of this sweater to good use!


Now, for the flower, I went a different route. Who likes felt?  I do!  I also love my Silhouette SD.  I used that to find my flowers: 2 larger ones at about 2.5" across and the other 2 at about 2" across.  I cut them out with paper using the Silhouette, then adhered the paper to felt, where I then cut out each flower.  (The leaves are just hand cut, but about 2.75" in length).


After I cut out each flower, I layered them on top of each other and used embroidery floss to tie it all together.


Pretty!  I used the sewing machine at the base of the leaves to attach them directly to the hat, then hand stitched the upper part of the leaves so that it wouldn't show through to the front of the felt.  That way the leaves aren't flapping all over, but are still completely secure. 

Then I hand stitched the flower onto the hat, attaching each petal from the bottom flower.  To make sure the rest of the flower was secure, I used a glue gun to the underside of each petal on the next 2 layers.  That's it!    This will go great with Adelle's red winter coat!  Here she is pointing at the pretty flower.


I really love the color combination and I like that the sweater I used had a little bit of a broken-in look.


I had to bribe Adelle with a slice of cheese for her to keep the hat on long enough for me to take a picture and this is the best I could get.  Normally I would pull it down a little more, which looks really cute with the flower.  You'll just have to trust me on that one :)

So, I would call this a success!  I give this tutorial an A!  Have you tried any great DIY projects lately?  Leave a comment and tell me about it -- especially if you have a link to where you found it!!

3 comments:

  1. That is ADORABLE!! Adelle has a talented Mommy!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Awesome! Great work on the cutting and re-stitching of that sweater! :)

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...